The main objectives of GEOTUR training are for students to integrate their own knowledge of territorial analysis, with a clear vision focused on the creation and management of companies of various types, especially tourism.
The degree aims to combine studies in Geography and Tourism in order to train highly qualified professionals in the management and development of the territory. The studies allow a critical and multidisciplinary view of the urban and rural environment to be acted upon, managed and implemented, where appropriate, new action policies appropriate to the current socio-economic situation. For this reason, at the end of training, students must demonstrate the achievement of the following goals:
- Ensure general, integrated training in the fundamental contents of the various subject areas of geography, their epistemological development and their research methods.
- To be able to apply theoretical, methodological and instrumental knowledge to integrated analysis and interpretation of spatial processes and problems, as well as to the preparation of territorial diagnostics.
- Interpret the diversity and complexity of territories and the interrelationships of environmental phenomena with economic, social and cultural ones.
- To train for action and intervention in the territory and its management, reinforcing the applied and experimental nature of geographical training.
- Develop specific skills related to the knowledge of working techniques, especially those related to the collection, analysis, processing and representation of geographical information, as well as fieldwork.
- To secure the necessary knowledge for the teaching of geography in secondary education, taking into account the complementary information that is legally established.
- Creating the basis for further postgraduate studies, specialized or transdisciplinary in nature, in which there is an outstanding territorial component.
- Identify and anticipate opportunities to promote new projects.
- Select, direct and motivate people.
- To take decisions.
- Design and execute actions to achieve the objectives set.
- Evaluate results.
- Promote business development initiatives.
At the competency level, the training will include the current competencies of the Geography and Tourism degrees.
Degree 1. Geography
Knowledge of the history and thinking of geographical discipline.
Knowledge of regional geographical spaces.
Knowledge of human, economic and social geography.
Knowledge of physical geography and the environment and ability to relate them to human activity.
Knowledge of the theories, arrangements and practices of land management.
Knowledge of theories of interpretation of the territory and explanations of territorial diversity.
Ability to combine general and specialized analyzes, interrelating phenomena at different territorial scales.
Geographic information methods.
Methodology and capabilities for direct knowledge of the territory and fieldwork.
Methodology for geographical research.
Ability to use geographical information as an instrument for interpreting the territory.
Ability to teach, disseminate and generate sensitivity towards geographical and territorial issues.
Ability to combine temporal and spatial dimensions in the explanation of earthly partner processes.
Ability to relate and synthesize transversal territorial information.
Ability to manage the idealization of services and activities.
Ability to express information cartographically.
Ability to compile and interpret statistical information.
Ability to analyze, interpret and manage landscapes.
Knowledge and ability to apply the scientific method.
Capacity for analysis and synthesis.
Critical reasoning ability.
Ability to solve problems and make decisions.
Creativity and initiative.
Knowledge of the principles and implications of professional ethics.
Ability to work in teams (intradisciplinary and interdisciplinary).
Ability to work in international contexts.
Ability to adapt to changing situations.
Motivation for rigor and quality.
Awareness and awareness of human rights and the reduction of all kinds of inequalities.
Knowledge and sensitivity to cultural diversity.
Ability to autonomous learning.
Capacity for organization and planning.
Ability to apply theoretical knowledge to practice.
Degree 2. Tourism
Capacity for analysis and synthesis.
Ability to plan and organize.
Teamwork and leadership.
Ability to work and learn independently and at the same time properly interact with others through cooperation and collaboration.
Ability to act in accordance with rigor, personal commitment and quality oriented.
Ability to create and run a tourism service company, responding to and changing the environment in which it operates.
Ability to perform the functions related to the different functional areas of a tourism company and institutions.
Ability to apply instrumental techniques in the analysis and solution of business problems and in decision-making.
Ability to identify, manage and design management strategies and plans for tourist territories and destinations in accordance with the principles of sustainability.
Understanding the principles of tourism, their spatial, social, cultural, legal, political, labor and economic dimensions.
Ability to design tourism products and define objectives, strategies and trade policies.
Ability to identify tourism resources and evaluate their potential.
Knowledge and command of foreign languages.
Ability to make financing and investment decisions in tourism service companies.
Ability to relate tourism management goals to a satisfactory, culturally legitimate, tourist-friendly experience.
Understanding the legal framework governing tourism activities.
Correct oral and written expression.
Knowledge and command of English as a foreign language.
Mastery of ICT.
Respect and development of human rights, democratic principles, principles of equality between men and women, the values of a culture of peace and other democratic values (Royal Decree 1393/2007, of October 29).